Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's All Coming Back to Me Now

Let me set a stage for you by telling you what kind of person I was in high school and college. I was one of those girls that was involved in EVERYTHING and wasn't fully content unless I had a daily schedule packed full of different extra curricular activies. And I was even happier if I had a leadership role in those activies, that way I had a say in everything - this might be the source of my control issues :) I admit it, I kind of enjoyed filling up my calendar with events, deadlines and volunteer opportunities. My activities included:
  • Tri Delta - President, Alumni relations, Panhellic Delegate
  • Arkansas Sports Info
  • Panhellenic Council - PR Officer
  • Mortar Board - Secretary
  • Hot Pink Ribbon
  • Order of Omega
  • PR Intern with MCG
  • PRSSA
  • Victoria's Secret
  • Lifeguard

And the list goes on and on and yes I know I was an over achiever..... Well after I graduated my calendar suddenly became empty. I had no idea what to do with my time. It was a foreign thing to me to NOT be busy. Eventually I got over the inital shock and enjoyed my time of freedom. It was nice not have activities or meetings to go to every night of the week.

Fast forward to present time and I am bored again so I have dived right back into a list of activies. I didn't really think i was involved in a lot until I looked at my calendar and noticed I have 5 events/meetings coming up in the next week.

Tonight I have back-to-back meetings. First is the United Way Young Women's Alliance gathering and then its straight to a "New Member" meeting for Junior League. Both are philanthropic organizations based on volunteerism. This weekend there is a NWA Young Professionals gathering and then I have community group on Sunday. The Hogs also have their spring scrimmage on Saturday. You know I am a Razorback Fan! Next Wednesday the NWA Tri Delta Alunni chapter will meet with the current seniors. We will be there to mingle with the students and provide "real world" advice.

So I have come full circle back to my days of getting involved and joining everything. All of these organizations help serve the community and its an opporutnity for me to give back. I guess no matter how much I try, I can't make myself NOT do anything.

No comments: