Lately I have been using coupons more and more. It both saves us money (being a newlywed is rough) and I actually like saving money. I was fortunate enough to have parents who taught me everything about money and budgeting growing up. In high school I was given an allowance for the month. I had to learn how to budget it because if I ran out, there was NO way I was getting any extra for activities or food. During the summer I had to get a job because there was no allowance. Also, when I went to college, my parents would deposit all the money I needed at the beginning of the month: tuition, sorority dues, insurance, etc. Once they did that, I was responsible for making sure all the bills got paid on time. Although I HATED it at the time, it is one of those things when I look back and think "yep, they knew what they were doing." So thanks Mom and Dad. Because of that, I can confidently say, I am very good with our money. I am now the bill payer in our household.
So back to couponing. I have started following several money-saving and couponing blogs and have learned a lot of useful tips. They compare that week's coupons and tell you where to shop to get the best deals.
When I grocery shop I always use coupons but tonight I went to Walmart just to get good deals. Who knew there were so many things you could get for 50% off or even free. My goal was to save more than I spend. I didn't quite make it because of one particular item but that will be explained.
Below is my loot from my first attempt. In total I spent $13.95
- Ocean Spray Juice - coupon for buy one get one free ($2.98 each)
- Total: $1.49 each
- Band-Aid - $1 off coupon ($1.97)
- Total: $0.97
- Reach Floss - $1 off coupon ($0.97)
- Total: FREE
- Nivea Lotion - $2 off coupon ($1.97)
- Total: FREE
- Barilla Pasta - $1 off coupon ($1.28)
- Total: $0.28
- Schick Hydro Silk Razor - $4 off coupon
- This is the one that screwed me up. I went to get the razor itself (it was $5.97 so I would have gotten it for $1.97) but they were out. As I was leaving the aisle I saw this gift set: it included the razor, 4 blades and a full size shaving cream for only $9.97. I didn't know if the coupon would work but it did!!! It was an even bigger deal.
- Total: $5.97
Tomorrow I have an even bigger shopping trip planned at another retailer. I'll share those results later this week!