Monday, August 13, 2012

Leah

This year I unwillingly decided to be a co Rush Advisory for my DDD chapter. Which basically means I am at the house every night during work week and rush to make sure rules are followed and lists are turned in on time.

As I was sitting there last night, at 11:30 p.m. mind you, I noticed what day it was- Aug. 12, the night before we lost our beautiful Leah seven years ago. I remember going through work week that year and driving back and forth from Springfield to see her in the hospital. I was torn between my obligation and my family.

When I did get that dreaded call, I was upstairs in my room while everybody else was downstairs practicing for Rush. I think I texted Stacia and said Leah had passed and I would be gone for a few days. I started packing, willing myself not to cry until I got out of the hosue. Next thing I knew, my 5 best friends were in my room hugging me and I was sobbing uncontrollably.

That day I lost a very close cousin but also, I felt even closer to my friends that are now my family. They were there for me during one of the worse times of my life. That meant more to me than they know.

I have thought a lot about Leah lately. I am not sure if its because I am in the same environment I was in when she passed, or because we are planning another family wedding that I know she will not be at.

Today I am comforted by the fact that she is watching over us and laughing at our stupid mistakes. I think I feel her most at tailgates - one of her favorite things ever. So, in anticipation for the first game of the season, I will have a BudLight tonight and call those HOGS for you my amazing cousin. I love you forever and can't wait to see you again!

No comments: