Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Why We Are Not Finding Out The Sex

Yesterday we had another prenatal appointment and got to hear the heartbeat again - 161. Last appointment it was 160 so it is pretty consistent. I have only gained about 3 pounds so far, which worries me a bit. I asked the doctor about it and she just told me to eat more snacks. I feel like I am eating all day now but I will add a few more calories to the mix. Don't get me wrong, I won't mind not gaining the 50 pregnancy pounds, I just want to make sure P-Nut is growing like he or she should.

At our appointment we scheduled the 20-week ultrasound. Wahoo!! I am so excited for a couple of reasons:
  1. We get to see a picture of our precious baby again (haven't seen him or her since 8 weeks) and
  2. It is only 2 weeks between appointments this time, not 4 like usual. Two weeks after the ultrasound we go back for another prenatal. Which means we basically get 3 appts in one week rather than just one. 
I bet you were thinking I was going to say "because we get to find out if it is a boy or girl." Wrong! Hehe. As you might have heard, we are not finding out the sex of the baby. I wanted to take the time to explain why we are doing this because it is baffling to some people :)

Every time somebody asks me when we get to find out the sex and I tell them we aren't, they look at me like I am crazy and immediately say: "YOU, of all people, aren't finding out?" If you know me well, you know I am the planner of all planners, Type A to a T and don't feel my life is in order if everything is not organized, labeled and stored properly. 

I always have plans, I always have lists and I always want to feel prepared. But for some reason, this is the one thing in my life I am not worried about planning. Odd I know! Don't get me wrong - I am researching and learning everything about this pregnancy and planning for everything AFTER the baby arrives, but I just don't feel like this one part needs any planning. Even if I knew what I was going to have, I wouldn't do a pink or blue nursery - it would have always been neutral. Plus gender-specific clothes can be bought after the birth. Maybe this will make me buy the things that are necessary and not just cute outfits all the time. 

As a kid, the one thing I knew for sure that I "wanted to be when I grew up" was a mom. It took me a while to find a career path I thought I might be good at but I always knew having a family was my first priority. And as long as I have known that, I have also known that I didn't want to find out the sex of the baby. I never thought I would find out before. I absolutely love surprises! Any kind of surprise, small or large, gets me excited and giddy and this might be the biggest surprise of a lifetime so why not take advantage? This might be something that we never get to do again and I think it will make the birth moment even more special and thrilling. So far, all I can imagine about that day is Ryan walking into the waiting room - where I am sure we will have dozen of family members waiting - and pronouncing "It's a ____!" 

And if you are wondering, my husband is also a planner and it took a little convincing before he agreed not to find out. He knows how to make me happy.

Now, after saying all that, I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other. Ryan has said a girl from day one. Today I am agreeing with him but that is probably because we can agree on 100s of boys names but not a single girls name. 

After taking a gender predictor "test" it said our baby is 53% likely to be a girl. That's sure helpful! The symptoms that I am experiencing  below support both sexes:

Girl
  • heart rate above 140
  • craving sweets (not salty snacks)
  • craving fruits
  • face breakouts 
Boy
  • colder feet than normal
  • no nausea starting in the 2nd trimester
  • growing chest
  • husband has a brother, not a sister

As you can see - it is basically split down the middle between girl and boy. And of course we would be ecstatic with either. I feel like I know boys better but if we have a girl, she will have Ryan wrapped around her little finger for eternity, not to mention her grandpas and uncles. 

Sooo...that is my reasoning for not finding out the sex - I love the suspense, excitement and surprise and am throwing all planning out the window. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am taking it!


1 comment:

Kendall Jones said...

Mere - I am totally on the same page! I don't want to find out either (when that day comes for us), and I share all of the same reasons. And, yes, it shocks people when I say that, too, because we are so type A, aren't we? As a sidebar, the gender thing is usually pretty accurate, but my hairdresser had a baby a year ago that was a boy and they were expecting a girl! Some things are just meant to be surprises so matter how you plan! :)