Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Anger is not a Sin

First let me start off by saying I have truly been blessed with the women's bible study I am in. There is 8-10 of us who meet monthly to discuss our lesson and I always leave loving our lesson, loving the time we spend together and feeling challenged to be a better Christian.

This past week's lesson from James was about Anger. When I started the lesson on Monday I felt like I was slapped in the face and had a "ah ha" moment from God.

Lately I have felt like I have been angrier more often than usual. I get annoyed easily and that turns into anger. I am one of those people that just can't let things slide and therefore I stew in it and it turns into anger which just consumes me. It is never a good feeling to have and I hate it. I don't want to be that kind of person.

My favorite verse from the lesson was James 1:19-20
"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires"

During the lesson we learned that anger is not a sin but feeding anger and speaking about anger becomes a sin. We learned even Jesus became angry. Angry men are considered foolish but those that hold their tongue are considered wise.

This lesson has been by far my favorite. I'm not sure if because it was so perfectly timed for my life or if it is something that I continually struggle with, but nonetheless, I learned a tremendous amount last night. On the way home from the lesson I promised myself I would not let things get to me so easily and I would not hold on to my anger but I would just give it to God. I truly believe by doing that I will become a happier person. Isn't it amazing how God chooses to speak to us?

No comments: